Any Matthews driver who owns aPorsche automobile knows the joy of a stylish, luxuriantly powerful drive. But some of our customers have been curious about the Porsche parent company. What company owns Porsche? Is Porsche owned by VW? You have questions. We have answers. Join us below to learn more!
What Company Owns Porsche? Is Porsche Owned by VW?
So, what company owns Porsche? Is Porsche owned by VW? Technically, yes. Porsche and Volkswagen merged in 2011. At that time, Porsche was designated a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG (interestingly, besides being the Porsche parent company, VW also owns Audi, Bugatti, and Lamborghini). So, from that standpoint, Volkswagen AG is the company who owns Porsche. However, Porsche also owns a majority share in Volkswagen AG. The result is that two great automakers get to continue a partnership that was started decades ago. Here is some of their shared history:
- 1969 – Porsche and Volkswagen collaborate on the production of the VW-Porsche 914 and 914-6. The 914 had a Volkswagen engine, while the 914-6 had a Porsche engine.
- 1976 – Porsche and Volkswagen collaborate again to produce the Porsche 912E and the Porsche 924.
- 2011 – Porsche and Volkswagen merge, designating VW as the Porsche parent company.
- Today –Porsche Cayenne parts are assembled at the Volkswagen Group factory in Bratislava, Slovakia.
The History of Porsche
There’s a lot more to this automaker and its sophisticated automobiles than who owns Porsche. Many of our Indian Trail customers are surprised to find out that this company has a significant history of its own. Here are some of the highlights:
- 1948 – Ferdinand Porsche creates the Porsche brand with 200 employees.
- 1949 – The Porsche 356, the very first Porsche model, is introduced, with a total of 52 cars being introduced.
- 1952 – The most popular Porsche model yet, the 550 Spyder, is introduced.
- 1973 – Porsche marks its 25th anniversary after selling over 10,000 automobiles.
Check Out the Porsche Lineup at Hendrick Porsche of Charlotte
We make it easy for you to get behind the wheel of your next vehicle at Hendrick Porsche. You can evenapply for financing online! Our dealership is conveniently located near Pineville, but you can also browse our entire inventory from the comfort of your own home! Contact us today if you would like to set up a Porsche test drive. Or, to learn about more Porsche information, check out our online hub for frequent updates!